Sunday, September 20, 2009

Alaska Girls Kick Butt




Well, as many of you know I acquired a cow tag for our locality and have spent the past couple of weeks roaming around the woods in search of moose. The funny thing is, with the extraordinary warm temperatures these large creatures seem to have disappeared. Layne and I had spotted a cow/calf pair on several occasions but never the opportunity to take aim. I have felt more like I have been stalking my husband with a loaded weapon. He can walk much faster than I can through the woods, partly because he is far more coordinated and has boots that fit!

I woke up this morning to "Get Dressed. I see a moose." After some conversation I realized the plan was to park me in the woods for a couple of hours until the moose decided to wander by me. Despite my pessimism the plan actually worked (and I accomplished reading about half of the novel I took with me). I looked up from my reading and turned to scan the 180 view around me and saw the moose. As I turned my body it continued to stare. I fidgeted trying to get the cover off the scope and then sight in the moose. I took aim and a half breath and shot, automatically filling the chamber for a second shot. The moose slowly ambled back into the woods. I looked back up and thought, I better get ready in case I missed and reloaded the weapon (only took one shot but loaded the weapon twice, ejecting live round out of the chamber). On the next glance up I realized there was a moose in a better position further away from the trees staring at me. I looked it over, saw no bullet holes but decided not to shoot. It just didn't look like the same moose. Turned out it wasn't. Layne came down to meet me and helped me locate the moose. He and Pappy are out doing the hard part now, cleaning the meat that will fill our freezer for the winter. I am still surprised that I shot it. Layne is tickled pink. Luckily, he doesn't have to work tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment