Thursday, March 9, 2017

Home at Last!

(Posted by Layne)



There's nothing quite like that feeling when you cross the final border going home.  It's been 7 years since I was able to officially live in our house in Alaska (Jolene and the boys stayed for 2 extra years after I left for my Command tour, since I was going to be deployed most of that 3 year tour anyway, so it's only been 5 years away for them).  We visited every year, for a couple weeks or a month each Summer.  But that felt different. This time it feels better, permanent.

Whitehorse to Haines Junction was the last bit of the ALCAN I hadn't driven before. From Haines Junction to home, I traveled along a route I had driven a couple times previously.



This is the section of road I remember from 9 years ago, where we lost the windshield to the SUV after getting hammered by a truck that passed.  It was under construction and all gravel then.  I had it all to myself this time.





Crossing Kluane Lake at Destruction Bay - some pretty spectacular Winter views.



Burwash Landing, Yukon.  On the banks of Kluane Lake.



The scenery kept getting better as I got closer to home.



Matanuska Valley and the glacier was a sight for sore eyes.





We only had one moose sighting the the entire route of the ALCAN, but as we pulled up to our house, we were greeted by a couple of our favorite long-nosed visitors. Based on the amount of moose poop in our yard, I would say these two moose have been acting as house sitters for us this Winter.





Then, finally home!





Clearly I have some snow shoveling to do.

Took some time last night to de-winterize.  Get the heat back up, reconnect the water supply, flush the air out of the pipes, and get the hot water heater going.  So far, everything is working fine.



Except for Dino, who was excited and running all over the snow last night, but won't come out of his kennel this morning after realizing that he will not be a house dog here like he was in California and Maryland.  He'll get used to it, just needs to grow his thick coat back.  Until then, the heated garage is all his.







Woke up to a beautiful view of the sun rising across the Hay Flats.

Lots of work to do today.  Signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment