Monday, May 8, 2017

A Short Walk in the "Park"

(Posted by Layne)



I've been wondering where the eagles are nesting since I got here in March.  Their old nest is visible from our house, but they definitely aren't using that one this year.  I thought they were nesting in a smaller nest nearby, but decided last month they weren't using that nest either.  Tonight, on a walk along the bluff from our house, I happened to walk by their new nest.  It's a little further away from us than any of their previous nests. This new nest makes the 5th one we've seen them nest in since we first moved here in 2008.  I took this quick picture, and then quietly snuck away so as not to disturb them, but I'm glad to confirm that they are still nesting in the area.



The walk between our house and the new nest is farther than I usually hike from the house, but I had forgotten how nice and peaceful that farther walk is.  Dino especially liked to explore the trails he hadn't seen in 5 years.



We stopped and took a breather at the Boy Scout Observatory, built as an Eagle Scout project right about the time we moved here the first time.  The view is still just as good, even though this isn't our best time of year for scenery.  I still think it's one of the best times to hike, though, as it's still very cool (in temperature), and only a few mosquitoes to swat at (so far).

No comments:

Post a Comment