Saturday, May 20, 2017

Starting to Green Up

(Posted by Layne)


One of the trail cams finally caught a visitor the other night.  A young bull - nubs (buttons), but no antlers.


Just a couple of weeks ago, during the full moon, there was still lots of snow on the mountain tops, and no green in the hay flats.


Today, there's green popping out from every direction.


Recent snow melt has swelled the creek to its annual max mass flow rate.  It will stay this full for another few months, then slow back to just more than a trickle by Fall.  When the salmon arrive in July, it's fun to watch 'em jump up these falls.

It might not load for everyone, but here's a video of Dino burying and trying to hide a ham-hock I gave him.  He covers it with dirt, then tries to hide it with grass that he gathers up.  When I walk out and point to where he buried it, he waits until I leave and then digs it up and buries it in another spot to try and hide it from me. He doesn't realize that I can see him from inside the house, so I always know where he buried it. Funniest part is that when I walk up to him he stares right at the spot he last buried it. He would be a terrible poker player.


No comments:

Post a Comment