Saturday, August 9, 2008

Morning Catch





Jolene took the boys and her folks down to Seward on Thursday for a wildlife cruise - to see more whales, orcas, glaciers, etc.. So I'm trying my hand at posting something for a change. Got up this morning and was down at the creek with a line in the water by 6:00. Nice little 15 mintue walk through the woods on state land that borders our subdivision. Last year 3-5 black bear roamed the area and a brown bear walked the creek during the salmon run, but so far this year I haven't seen any of them. Caught the first silver, ~9 lb, in the first half hour, then it took another hour to catch the little one. By then the creek bank was getting crowded so I decided to walk on back to the house. There are reds, silvers and the occasional pink salmon running up the creek. After the salmon swim past the fishing hole I go to, they swim up some rapids, jumping over rocks and fallen trees then swim through the creek as it winds through our subdivision (not allowed to fish on that part of the creek though since they spawn here), then they spawn in an area of the creek within about a quarter mile of our house.


I'll be leaving on Thursday to go up to the North Slope (16 hour drive to just south of Prudhoe Bay) to bowhunt caribou. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment