Sunday, September 21, 2008

Hunt Successful




I spent all Saturday out in the rain calling for moose on base (and half the prior night listening to moose calls on the net trying to learn to make the right sound . Right at sunset, I came across a cow moose grazing in a grass field not too far off the road. I was able to position and get a shot - 28 yards with a good arrow through the lungs - she only traveled about 50 yards before she dropped back in the woods. She was a mature cow, probably ~800 lbs on the hoof and with three friends who I called in to help, we had the meat cut, bagged and in the truck in about 2 and a half hours. It's an uneasy feeling in the woods around midnight in the dark cutting up a moose knowing the scent of the kill will probably draw a bear or two if they're close by. I didn't have a camera with me, so the base wildlife officer took a picture and will email it on Monday - so I'll add the picture of me holding my bow knelt next to the moose later. Here is a picture of the meat (~400 lbs of meat we took off, with only the head, hide, boned-out rib cage and gut pile left in the woods). We don't have a fridge large enough to hold it all, so they say to drape the meat bags down and let it dry overnight in the garage at ~45 degrees, and then we'll take it to the processor tomorrow. Now I just need to head back up the Haul Rd and get a Caribou!! (and we'll need to buy yet another freezer - Alaska is starting to get expensive, but I got good use out of the truck!)

No comments:

Post a Comment