Sunday, September 14, 2008

Still Hunting






Didn't see a single moose on my hunt this weekend. Stalked three on Thursday and Friday - stayed within a hundred or so yards of a bull/cow pair through the woods, but only the bull gave me a good shot, and my permit is for anterless only. Beautiful country out here to hunt in. I've seen a red fox, plenty of eagles and a very surprised porcupine (he wasn't at all pleased to see me). For the second week in a row I've been warned by other hunters/fishermen that "there's a black bear in those woods over there" - and each time I had just come out of those woods without seeing anything. The pictures are of six-mile lake which is one of the areas I'm hunting, and the warning on the book I sign in to hunt each day at the base's main gate (haven't seen the brown bear in the picture yet, but she charged one of the hunters on Friday - he said he was done hunting on base after the ordeal, but I'm sure he'll be back when his heart stops racing!). Hopefully I won't see her, my hunt is a bowhunt, and the base doesn't allow us to carry firearms while on a bowhunt, so the only useful thing I'll have if I run into her is my negotiating skills. The last picture is of one of the many "Go, Sarah, Go" signs around town here. I'm hoping the news frenzy dies down - I don't want the secret of how nice Wasilla is to get out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment