Thursday, May 24, 2018

Da Bears (and more wildlife)




It wouldn't be (nearly) Summer in AK without running into some bears. Beautiful day today, brought out this sow and cubs right in front of me as I was leaving an off-site meeting on base.

Cubs learning to climb a tree.


Using the car to estimate the size of the bear.


Cubs seemed to be just about as carefree as you would hope them to be, and the sow wasn't concerned at all about me standing around watching.



We were at a chalet near a lake on base, executing an off-site with my plans/policy/resources/Arctic shop. These are fine folks who keep us on the straight and narrow, all of whom are part of DoD's only dedicated group determining operational requirements for the Arctic.


She came along after our picture, obviously disappointed that she had missed being included (and disappointed she had missed our lunch on the grill).


Good view of the chalet on Green Lake. Nice place to hold an off-site conference.


Cubs trying to keep up with mom.


"She taught me how to climb, and I showed her how to dangle."


A closer look at the fox den I pass by on my walk each day. They sure have excavated a lot of sand out of that hole.


Glow on the hay flats.


I'm pretty sure there's at least one baby chick in that nest....but I just cant get a good angle on it for a picture.


Sandhill crane strutting across the flats.


Moose, moose and more moose. This cow was at the house yesterday, and appears to have not dropped her calves yet. They should be born by now, or coming very soon.


This is the little bull I keep running into on my walk. He pays me very little mind.


In fact, each time he sees me he starts walking right toward me, getting about 5 yards from me today before browsing in another direction. Can be a little uncomfortable, but I enjoy watching him browse by.

Video above shows his closest point of approach this evening.


Another shot of the chalet on the lake.


Around the side of the chalet grows a very unique looking flower, the Lamprocapnos spectabilis (bleeding heart).



No comments:

Post a Comment