Saturday, August 29, 2009

Run is Over




Just about all the salmon have disappeared from the creek. I'd say the run is over. I was extremely blessed to get this one silver. He was likely the only one in the fishing hole. I didn't see him down at the bottom, but he came up and bit on a piece of pink yarn tied to a hook. I haven't had any luck with the eggs I cured, instead they seem to bite easier on the yarn since it looks like eggs but is brighter in the murky water. He was 28 inches and over 8.5 lbs. Big enough to get 8 meal-sized fillets vacuumed sealed and in the freezer for winter. His color and meat were good, so I'll turn a couple of the fillets into sushi grade once it gets down below -15 deg here in December. Moose season is underway, and we're also starting to plan our trip up to the North Slope for a caribou bow hunt, and maybe a fall black bear hunt down south of the Kenai.

No comments:

Post a Comment