Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pensacola Wildlife, Tar Balls and Fireworks





Luckily, I haven't seen any alligators yet, but I have ran into this one angry armadillo in the parking lot outside my room on three different nights....I think he's stalking me. The picture of him is blurry because the humidity keeps fogging up my camera lens. There are brown pelicans everywhere on base. I went to the Gulf Breeze beach yesterday and found it to look exactly as I remembered from 15 years ago - beautiful water and sand. Sure, there's a few tar balls lying around like the one pictured in my hand....but you have to look for them. Overall, despite the panic the media is making it out to be, the spill really isn't affecting the beaches I've been to. Unfortunately for the locals, the number of tourists has dropped significantly - probably due to the massive amount of media coverage the oil is getting. I still think the Valdez oil spill was FAR more damaging to Alaska than this one will be to the Gulf Coast, maybe because Prince William Sound is so much smaller than the Gulf, or because the spill is so far offshore - but I'm sure the media will keep drumming up the panic, but I'm here at "ground zero", and I just don't see it being that disastrous, yet. I walked out on the NAS beach and watched the city fireworks display (short video below). You can hear the waves crashing on the beach in the video - I was quite a ways from the fireworks display so they are small and in the distance in the video.

No comments:

Post a Comment