Sunday, June 6, 2010

Camping in Sequoia National Park







I decided the Lemoore heat was too much and I needed to take a trip into the Sequoia National Park for a 2 day camping trip to search for some cooler weather in the mountains. I rented a small tent from the outdoor store on base, and left Saturday morning. I stayed at the Atwell Mill Campground and hiked the Atwell - Hockett Trail on Saturday and the Paradise Ridge Trail on Sunday before driving back to Lemoore. There were plenty of mule deer on the trail (and in camp, as the video shows), and I came across one set of black bear tracks right where a family had told me they had seen a bear about an hour before (just past the bridge where I took the waterfall video below), but the bear had already wandered off and I didn't get to see it. The trees are of course enormous compared to trees in Alaska. The first two pics show a store owned by a local man named (I guess) Paul Bunyan, so he carved a large statue of Bunyan and Babe out of one tree, and put some markers on a cross section of a tree that was several thousand years old to show significant events while it lived. The next pic is of my campsite, then a pic of a deer walking by some of the old mill equipment. Look closely at the bottom of the two trees in the next pic and you'll see my pickup parked there, just to give you some idea of how huge these trees are. I didn't make it up to the Gen Sherman or Grant trees this trip, but those two trees are much larger even than the ones in my pictures (largest and oldest living things on earth). The last pic is of the old Tophatter One car I found parked in the BOQ parking lot when I came back.....when I was a JO in VF-14, one of my fellow JOs, "Clam" Gallagher donated that car to the squadron and I was glad to see it was still around. The other video is of one of the waterfalls I crossed on my hike...once you click on them, give it a little while to load - it takes a minute sometimes.


No comments:

Post a Comment